2014 Julian & Jan Hester Memorial Scholarship
Application Now Available!
The goal of The Julian & Jan Hester Memorial Scholarship is to assist deserving high school seniors in their first year of college and to promote community banking.
The scholarship is named after long-time CBA Chief Executive Officer, the late Julian Hester and his late daughter, Jan Hester. Jan was a senior at the University of Georgia when she died in an auto accident on April 15, 1990. In addition to supporting community banking, this scholarship is an opportunity to pass on the positive qualities both Julian and Jan Hester exemplified to further the development of tomorrow’s generations.
- Open to Georgia high school seniors who will be entering a Georgia university, college, or technical college (if program is two or more years) in the fall quarter of 2014. Scholarship funds will be awarded to another student if program is not started in that quarter.
a) Complete Application
b) Complete Activity Record
c) Complete Essay
d) Complete Qualifications (1 Page Completed by a Teacher)
e) Complete High School Transcript (and SAT and/or ACT Scores if Available)
- Awards are based on academic merit, not financial need.
- At least four (4) $1,000 scholarships funded by the Community Bankers Association of Georgia
(CBA) and its membership will be awarded.
- Scholarship funds are paid by the CBA directly to the college, university or technical institute
to an account in the student’s name to be applied toward tuition, books and expenses.
- The CBA recommends that a local community bank also award a scholarship to their individual
applicant; however, the bank is not required to do this.
- All winning or selected applicants from each community bank will be forwarded to the CBA
office for review and will be presented to the Julian & Jan Hester Memorial Scholarship
- The Committee will make a final choice of at least four (4) applicants chosen to receive the
scholarships. A notice of the applicants chosen will be mailed to the sponsoring community
bank president. The four (4) award recipients will be notified by the CBA and the sponsoring
- Any award not utilized may, at the Committee’s discretion, be used to increase the number of
awards for the next year, or the scholarship may be awarded to one of the semi-finalists.
Click here to download application.
DEADLINES FOR RECEIPT
STUDENT TO BANK: Friday, April 4, 2014
BANK TO CBA OFFICE: Friday, April 11, 2014
Search Banks by Bank Name
Search Banks by City
Search Banks by Zip
Congratulations to the 2013
Julian & Jan Hester Memorial Scholarship Winners!
Waycross Bank & Trust,
G.C. Ganas, President
Bank of Madison
Charles H. Haney, III, President
Hamilton State Bank, Hoschton
Bob Oliver, CEO/Chairman
Cherokee Bank, Canton
Dennis Burnette, President
Click here to read the winning essays.